The program is designed so that overseas students can become more than tourists, experiencing life in the U.S. first-hand by working alongside U.S. citizens in temporary employment. Not only does this unique opportunity allow for a genuine “U.S. experience,” it helps cover travel expenses!
For a time, the program was offered only in European and Central/South American countries and was introduced in Asia only in the 1990s to countries such as Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. In Singapore, it officially took root in November 2000 and the program is available now in Malaysia, Australia, and Indonesia as well. A pioneer group of 30 students from Singapore embarked on this adventure in May 2001 through Speedwing and hundreds of other countries' students have participated in this program each year ever since.
Students on the program are employed in summer jobs in famous locations like amusement parks Cedar Point and Six Flags and national parks Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. Upon fulfilling their work agreement, they get to travel around the USA within a stipulated period as part of the program. In this way, they have in many seasons of the program formed meaningful friendships with people from many countries, acquired overseas work experience, and simply gained great memories.
This program is not for students to gain practical training, apply classroom knowledge, complete compulsory work attachment/internship programs unless otherwise stated by their institutions, or seek permanent work opportunities or long-term career in the USA. At the end of the program, all students must return to the country in which they are studying.
- Minimum employment period is 2 to 3 months. Maximum is 4 months.
- Duration of stay in the USA can be up to 5 months (maximum 4 months of employment followed by an optional maximum 30 days of travel within the US).
- Legal work document and visa are generally issued for only the work duration agreed between each participant and the employer. Participants cannot extend work duration when they are already in the USA.
- Participants who are required to return to school can only remain in the USA on the program until the last day of their school vacation and must return in time to start the new semester.
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years of age
- be a full-time tertiary student in your local university with official semester break OR a final year, final semester student graduating from a full-time course
- Undergo an interview with secure job offer before you can be accepted on the program
This program is offered in Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
In Singapore, Speedwing usually commences recruitment in August/September and organizes a recruitment roadshow in October/November for the program in the following summer.
From 2013 onward, Singapore participants who embark on the Summer Work & Travel USA will have to follow the set date given. No employment can start earlier or end later than this range: May 01 – August 31 (not May 15, effective 2016).
For Malaysia and Indonesia, applications usually commence in October/November with the recruitment roadshow in January/February for the program in the following summer. Participating employers will interview interested candidates at recruitment roadshows (Singapore and Malaysia mostly) or online hiring via SKYPE or Zoom.
From 2013 onward, Malaysia participants who embark on the Summer Work & Travel USA will have to follow the set date given. No employment can start earlier or end later than this range: May 25 – September 15 (not May 15, effective 2016)
This program applies to Malaysia and Australia.
The winter recruitment begins in June/July for one to depart in November/December the same year.
From 2013 onward, Malaysia participants who embark on the Winter Work & Travel USA will have to follow the set date given. No employment can start earlier or end later than this range: November 25 – March 15 (not November 15, effective 2016).
Click here to find out the set dates given by the US Department of State for each country.